Great Transition Stories
Humanity has entered a time of profound change. We are pushed by necessity and pulled by opportunity. The push is a growing systems crisis, evident in the breakdown of financial institutions, climate disruption, resource depletion, unsustainable populations, and more. The pull is the opportunity to rise to a new level of human maturity, partnership, and freedom. The combined push and pull at a global scale make this truly a time of Great Transition for humanity. Collectively, we have been on a long journey of development, differentiation, and separation. We are now approaching an 'evolutionary wall' where we are running into ourselves and our choices for the long-term future. If we pull together in cooperation, we can build new relationships with one another and the Earth. Very simply, the below diagram depicts the 'great turning' required for the human journey.
Great Transition Stories is an open-source collaboration. The text on this wiki is made available via the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike License. See Project Copyrights for information regarding use of non-text media.
We understand that the stories we tell shape both the view of ourselves and the future we create. Our stories will powerfully influence the path we take through this time of collective awakening and global turning. We have the ability to consciously choose narratives that offer realistic beacons of hope to guide our way through the Great Transition.
- Describing the Great Transition
- What Is a Great Transition Story?
- Why Great Transition Stories Matter
- About This Project
- How You Can Get Involved
Featured Stories of Great Transition
Clarity and coherence are priceless in our times of increasing breakdown and overwhelm. Although we are gathering a number of great transition stories, we will feature core narratives that are universally understandable and highly useful for navigating through these unprecedented times. In that spirit, here are narratives that offer deep insight into changes underway in our world.
Selected Writings About the Great Transition
There is a growing literature focusing on the dynamics of our world in transition. Listed here are a few of the most important and insightful articles that we have found. Check back in regularly as this is an ever changing and expanding list.
- Joe Brewer, Toward the Global Transition — 2012 and Beyond (January 2012)
- Anthony C. Revkin, Disruption on the Path to Transformation (October 2011)
- Gus Speth, American Prospect: Decline and Rebirth (July 2011)
- Paul Gilding, The Great Disruption Has Arrived (February 2011)
- Anthony C. Revkin, Puberty on the Scale of a Planet (August 2009)
- Edmund Bourne, A World In Transition (2008)
- Global Trends 2025: The National Intelligence Council's 2025 Project (2008)
- Ervin Laszlo, WorldShift: The Quest for a Quantum Leap in Human Affairs (January 2008)
- Duncan Taylor and Graeme Taylor, The Collapse and Transformation of Our World (2007)
- Joanna Macy, The Great Turning as Compass and Lens (May 2006)
- Paul Raskin, et al., The Great Transition: The Promise and Lure of the Times Ahead (2002)
- Duane Elgin, Turning Tide Report (2001)
- Duane Elgin with Coleen LeDrew, Global Consciousness Change: Indicators of an Emerging Pardigm (1997)
Deeper Learning About Transition Stories
There are a number of ways to learn about – and learn how to use – these Great Transition Stories; including:
- Courses: We are exploring possible course offerings related to Great Transition stories and storytelling.
- Online Communities: This area is in development; however, one important community now emerging is on our Facebook Page.
- Study Groups: We are excited about the potential for study groups for exploring these stories, both face-to-face and online.
- Story Consulting: We are developing a network of Great Transition storytellers and facilitators to support people and organizations in their re-storying process.
- Core Assumptions: There are a number of core assumptions that underly these stories of great transition.